At Summerhill Park Kindergarten we are committed to providing a sustainable learning environment for your children.
Over the years we have introduced many sustainability measures and activities to our kinder program to help us reduce our environmental footprint and teach future generations about sustainability.
A sustainable kinder program
- Vegetable garden and planting program
- Choose Tap drinking fountain (‘reusable’ drink bottle program in place to discourage use of plastic bottles)
- Encourage “nude food” (reduce plastic waste in lunches/snacks)
- Rain gardens to filter rain and storm water and show children how this process works (where does the water go?)
- Use recycled materials in kinder activities where possible
- Only purchase recycled paper
- Grey water to flush toilets
- Combination of indigenous, bush tucker, water hardy and native plants
- Worm farm and collection of food scraps
- Recycle materials appropriately
We are currently formalising our activities as part of a Sustainability Policy and Sustainability Working Group. If you are interested in being part of the Working Group, please notify the kinder.